Monday, March 23, 2009

Special Pasta Sauce

Chef Steven here again and back in action! Tonight's challenge: A pasta sauce to go over the last of the homemade pasta. We have no milk, no tomatoes, no tomato paste, etc. What we do have is butter, flour, coconut milk, and frozen boneless chicken. :-)

So, we'll see how it turns out. First, I heated some olive oil in a sauce pan, then added garlic cubes, salt, pepper, some marjoram and rosemary. After thawing the chicken in the microwave, I added it to the oil & spices and cooked both sides until a nice golden brown. :-) I then put the chicken in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. I might need to leave it in another 5 or 10 minutes longer.

In the meantime, I made a roux (don't know if that's spelled right) - butter and flour, right? Well, that's what I did. :-) I think I saw someone add milk to make a white sauce, but since I didn't have milk I added a small can of coconut milk. Turns out that coconut milk is pretty potent, and relatively thick. So I stirred in some water until it got to a nice thin consistency. Once it was thin enough, it was ready for me to add some parmesan cheese (from a can) and melt it in. I also added some salt and pepper. It's now waiting on low heat. It smells really good, but it's pretty rich. Good thing it's going over pasta! And the chicken, when it was on the stove top, smelled pretty light, so that might help cut some of the richness.

When the chicken is done, I'm going to slice it up and toss it with the sauce and some pasta. Then I'll see how it turned out! :-)

No comments: