Monday, August 20, 2007

Beware the Infinite Loop!

I just lost several hours of bleary-eyed data organization/collection due to an infinite loop. Grrrrr. Fortunately I got *some* measurements first. I wrote a little script to save the newly organized files, and decided to test it on just a single file first, to make sure the script worked properly. Well, I had the following lines:

>> k = 1;
>> while k < 2,
>> ...
>> endwhile;

See the problem? I left out the line k = k + 1;

So now I get to redo all the work I had just finished. :-( But not right now... I'm bleary-eyed and tired enough that I'm just going to go home (it's just about 8pm, after all).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Infinite loops are even more fun when they happen on a production server that's half a country away, and you have to make a tech support call to have them push the reset button. (Noooo, I've never done that, honest!) :-)